Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Joyfully at Home {A Book Review}


Joyfully at Home, written by Jasmine Baucham, is a book written by a young woman to other young women, encouraging them to find fulfillment and purpose joyfully at home, rather than seeking fulfillment outside the home via college and careers.  

The book also deals with tough questions girls face about marriage, husbands, and singleness.  Jasmine writes with humor and passion about how young ladies can be a good daughter to their parents, a good sister to their siblings, and how they can find contentment and fulfillment in ministry in the home.  

Joyfully at Home also contains helpful advice about how to respond to those who question the decision to remain at home after high school graduation.

This book is very easy and enjoyable to read, and is written in a humorous style and contains hilarious stories and embarrassing situations that young women can readily relate to!  

As far as my personal response to the book, I found it extremely encouraging and helpful in thinking about my future.  Even though I'm not college-aged yet, I still think about my future quite often, and before reading this book, I had difficulty in facing decisions that will confront me in a couple of years.

It also encourages me to take action right now by being a loving and obedient daughter, a kind and encouraging big sister to my four younger siblings, and to look for ways that I can reach out to others through the home. 

As Jasmine says, '"Don't just read about it-do it!  What are you waiting for?"'

10 comments:

  1. My daughter is twelve but this is a book I would like her to read as well. :)
    Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yes, I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elyse~

    I am so happy to find your blog (I found it from reading your mom's latest post)- it looks lovely and I love the colors and style :)

    I have "Joyfully at Home" and have read it twice already. It is one of my absolute favorite books! I am a stay at home daughter myself and it is such a wonderful resource and encouragement.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    Blessings to you on your new blogging endeavor (blogging is lots of fun!),
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,

      Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and thank you so much for the encouraging comment!

      I was so glad to be able to read Jasmine's book; I borrowed it from our church library. It has become one of my new favorites!

      Thanks again for your kind comment!

      Blessings,
      Elyse

      Delete
  3. Hello Elyse!

    I found your blog through your mothers blog! You are doing such a great job! I'm thrilled to see that you are reviewing such great books. I'm living at home with my family since I graduated at 17 and am now 21. Have you read any of the botkins books yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany!

      Thank you for your encouraging comment!

      I have read one of the Botkins' books (So Much More), and I really appreciated the emphasis on positive father-daughter relationships.

      Blessings,
      Elyse

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite books! It's very encouraging to read other people's books and blogs who are like minded! :)
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to "meet" you, Caitlin! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Hi! I just found your blog and I really like it!
    I read a lot of good reviews about this book, i definitely gonna buy it.
    I'm now 22 and i'm studying law but I really don't want to be a working mom, so I hope this book will help me thinking about my future and making smart decisions.
    Un abbraccio
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting, Valeria!

      Delete