Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Kisses From Katie {Book Review}

Kisses from Katie, written by Katie Davis, is a book that's all about self-denial and putting Jesus first!  The book reveals Katie's life in the US where she had it all, according to the world's standards.  A boyfriend, success and popularity, cute clothes and designer cars...you name it.

But after a trip to Uganda, Katie's life was changed forever. When you completely surrender your life to Jesus, amazing things happen!  For Katie, total surrender of her life meant giving up "everything" in the US and moving to Uganda where she adopted thirteen girls and has an amazing ministry reaching out to those without hope, and shining the light of Jesus into their lives.  

Katie says, "I never meant to live in Uganda, a dot on the map in East Africa, on the opposite side of the planet from my family and all that is comfortable and familiar.  Thankfully, God's plans also happen to be much better than my own."

I was inspired and challenged reading this book.  I found myself asking, "Would I be willing to give up everything to move to a foreign country where I didn't even know the language?  Would I be willing to do whatever God called me to do, even if it meant leaving all that is familiar and comfortable behind me?  Could I see these people for who they are, people created in the image of God, souls that will live for eternity, and look beyond the filth and illness and poverty?

I encourage you to read this book and think about these questions as I did.  When we surrender our everything to Jesus and follow His leading, allowing Him to direct us, even if it means leaving our comfort zone, as it did for Katie, we choose to place ourselves in the hands of a God who holds the world, and that's not a bad place to be.  Not all of us are called to move to a foreign country and adopt thirteen children, but we are all called to pledge our full allegiance to Christ and allow Him to use us for His glory.


For more about Katie and her book, watch this video:

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I so enjoyed this post!! I really want to read this book sometime soon and it was neat hearing more about it! And thanks so much for sharing the video!
    ~Tashia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tashia!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I read this book after my mom got it for me for Christmas and loved it. I've never seen that video before, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, Elyse!
    - I'm in 8th grade, by the way. Realized that for all you know, you could be talking to a 30 year old on the other side of the computer. :)
    Keep up the good work!
    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby!!

      I love having readers that are around my age. :)

      ~Elyse

      Delete
  3. This book is on my to-read wish list! Now I want to read it even more! Hope you have a blessed day Elyse! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you're having a great day!

      Delete